Thứ Bảy, 23 tháng 7, 2016

22 Common Idioms in IELTS Speaking


Hôm nay mình sẽ giới thiệu với các bạn 22 Common Idioms in IELTS Speaking
1. bump into – to meet someone by chance ==> I bumped into my old friends at the seminar for education officials
2. A drop in the ocean – every small part of something much bigger. => Just learning idioms is a drop in the ocean when it comes to preparing for the speaking test.
3. work flat out – work very hard ==> The employees have been working flat out to get the job finished ahead of the deadline.
4. The in thing – something fashionable.==>The new iPhone is really the in thing at the moment.
5. make a fuss over – overly care for someone/something ==> Whenever they visit Grandma she makes a fuss over the children.
6. Run of the mill – average, ordinary ==> Apple phones are very run of the mill these days.
7. far-fetched – usually refers to an idea, choice, decision, plan that may be unusual, probably not a good choice. ==>The government’s choice for the new Defense Secretary seemed pretty far fetched to the opposition party.
8. ace – to do well. Usually used relating to a test, competition, something with a score, or a clear winner or loser. ==> He aced the history test. He is an ace pitcher/batter/tennis player.
9. A hot potato – a controversial topic.==> Abortion and capital punishment are hot potatoes in my country at the moment.
10. Get a kick out of (something) – to get excitement or pleasure from an event or thought. ==> I really get a kick out of seeing the crazy things carried on motorbikes sometimes.
11. bent out of shape – often used to admonish others not to be too upset. ==> Don’t get all bent out of shape about the way they drive over here!
12. Give (lend) somebody a hand – to give some forms of assistance with a task ==> Could you give me a hand with this shipment?
 
13. Sit on the fence – to be undecided. ==> I haven’t made my mind up about that issue, I’ll have to sit on the fence.
14. A piece of cake – very easy. ==> Getting a band 6 in the speaking test will be a piece of cake.
15. hit the books – to study, usually intensively ==> I will sit the IELTS test next week. That’s why I have beenhitting the books all day long.
16. Soul mate – someone you trust very deeply ==> My husband is not just my lover, he’s my soul mate.
17. broke – usually financial related, have no money, can also generally reference a state ==> I can’t afford to go on holiday – I’m (flat) broke.
18. (Go) back to the drawing board – to start planning something again because the first plan failed ==> Our plan didn’t work out, so it’s back to the drawing board.
19. Go the extra mile – To make an extra effort; do more than usual ==> You had better not forget 8 leadership attributes that make you go the extra mile.
20. crash course – a quick lesson ==> We need a crash course in idioms for this IELTS program.
21. up-to-the-minute – the very latest or most recent ==> Now we’re going live to our reporter in Washington for up-to-the-minute news on the crisis.
22. On the go – busy ==> I feel as though we always need to be on the go because life’s too short to be idle!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét